…Continued from Caritas.
Chapel Hill was built in 1922 in St. Charles, Missouri by American Car & Foundry as the private car Hussar for Post Cereals heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post and her husband, stock broker and banker Edward Francis Hutton, who used the car to travel from their main home in New York City to their winter estate in Palm Beach and their summer home in the Adirondacks of upstate New York. They divorced in 1935 and Post kept the car. She promptly married Joseph E. Davies, a Washington D.C. attorney who was appointed US ambassador to the Soviet Union in 1937, and when they moved to the Soviet Union they sold the car to the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway.
C&O installed an air conditioning system and the car became Office Car #2 and was renumbered several times before Office Car #3 became final. The car was modernized in 1957. In 1971 DeWitt Chapple, Jr. bought the car and named it Chapel Hill after his alma mater, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Chapple was a founder of the American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners. In 2005, Jeffrey & Tracy McClorey became part owners of the Chapel Hill with Chapple.
Continue to Colonial Crafts…