Saturday, February 10, 2018

Alaska Heavyweight Passenger Cars

I'm not sure, but I think my grandmother took these pictures for me while on an Alaskan cruise around 1991. At the time I think these cars were in Palmer, Alaska. Now they are located at the Museum of Alaska Transportation & Industry in Wasilla.

Alaska Railroad Sleeping Car #92 Lake Minchumina in Palmer, Alaska circa 1991

Alaska Railroad Sleeping Car 92 Lake Minchumina was built by Pullman in 1924. It was a 12-1 sleeping car, with 12 open sections and one drawing room. It was originally named McCord. It was sold to the Alaska Railroad in February 1956 and renamed Lake Minchumina. It was retired in 1973.

United States Department of the Interior Bureau of Mines Mine Rescue Car #5 in Palmer, Alaska circa 1991

I don't know much about United States Department of the Interior Bureau of Mines Mine Rescue Car 5. It is clearly a Pullman-built car, but I don't know if it was purpose-built for the Bureau of Mines or if it was rebuilt from a passenger car. I also don't know when it was retired, but I assume it was around the same time as the Lake Minchumina.

No comments:

Post a Comment