This old caboose in now used as a private home in Skykomish. It was originally owned by the Great Northern Railway, the railroad that built the line through Skykomish.
The Great Northern was merged into the Burlington Northern Railroad on March 2, 1970 with the Northern Pacific, the Chicago Burlington and Quincy and the Spokane, Portland and Seattle. The Burlington Northern merged with the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe in 1995, forming the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe, which operates the line today.
This 30-foot caboose was built by the Great Northern Railway in their own St. Cloud, Minnesota shops in August 1942 as their number X228. It became Burlington Northern #11225 with the 1970 merger. After its retirement and a subsequent move here to 103 South 3rd Street in Skykomish, it was restored to its original appearance as shown here.
Continue to Trains In & Around Skykomish…