…Continued from Knappa.
Astoria is the oldest settlement west of the Rocky Mountains. Fur traders sent by John Jacob Astor built Fort Astoria in 1811. Astoria is the county seat of Clatsop County. According to the 2000 census, Astoria has a population of 9,813 people.
The Lewis & Clark Explorer's journey ends, appropriately enough, in front of the old Astoria railroad depot. The depot was built in 1924, the peak year for rail travel in Astoria. The railroad continued to use the building for decades after passenger service ended, but today the building is owned by the Columbia River Maritime Museum. It is closed to the public as it is in need of serious repair and is only used for storage.
The tracks along the waterfront through Astoria are used by the Astoria Riverfront Trolley.
These pictures show the Lewis & Clark Explorer passing by the site of the old engine terminal while leaving Astoria for the return trip to Linnton.
Continue to Conclusion…