Continued from Departing Longview.
This view of the Cowlitz River was taken as we started up the bridge approach, near an area known to the train crews as Milco. The West Side Highway (Washington State Highway #411) is in the foreground.
This bridge was completed in 1926. The west approach of the bridge was originally a long wooden trestle; one of the largest in North America. On July 2, 2001, the trestle caught fire, and about 800 feet of the trestle was destroyed. This part of the bridge, the part over the river, was not damaged. This bridge also carries a natural gas line that supplies the Weyerhaeuser mill.
The Cowlitz River from the bridge, with homes on the riverbank, and a train of autorack cars on the BNSF mainline visible through the trees.
Another view of the Cowlitz River from the bridge. The Rocky Point railroad yard is visible on the left. The white smoke in the distance is from the mills in Longview.
Continue to Rocky Point Yard…