The two tunnels at about milepost 1718.51 were not originally part of the railroad built in the 1890s. Originally, the railroad crossed Bridge #402 here. On January 22, 1916, a large slide destroyed part of Bridge #402, by that time a heavy steel trestle. The bridge was temporarily repaired using heavy timbers and was back in service within a month. In the fall of 1916, the Twin Tunnels were built to relocate the railroad to a less exposed position. Tunnel 15.2 is 819 feet long and Tunnel 15.1 is 1,213 feet long. The 75 feet between them was protected by a timber snowshed. At the other end of each tunnel, a concrete arch was built as a permanent snowshed to keep snow from building up and blocking the tunnel entrance. A short wooden snowshed connected the arch and the tunnel. The arches were built wide enough for two tracks in case the railroad decided to add an additional track to this portion of the railroad, which was never done.
Though hikers cannot walk through the tunnels, the arches are stable enough to walk through.
As part of its climb up the mountain, this section of the former railroad seems to be headed in the wrong direction. The original route followed a horseshoe curve at Scenic, and then another at Martin Creek. On this section in between, eastbound trains were actually headed west by the compass. This makes compass east actually west with respect to the railroad, and vice versa.
Because the tunnels are not stable enough for hikers to enter, the trail follows the original route of the railroad and crosses a new footbridge built on the original piers of Bridge #402.
The arch at the west (east with respect to the railroad) end of the twin tunnels is 96 feet long.
Continue to Rock Cut…