The Iron Goat Trail is a hiking trail built on the original Great Northern Railway grade between Scenic and Wellington. The trail exists due to the work of hundreds of volunteers with Volunteers for Outdoor Washington and the U. S. Forest Service. The initial trailhead at Martin Creek and first four miles of the trail were dedicated and opened October 2, 1993. There are now trailheads for the Iron Goat Trail at Scenic, Martin Creek and Wellington.
The Iron Goat Trail is measured in original Great Northern mileage from St. Paul, Minnesota, and Scenic is just west of milepost 1720. The map below shows the points of interest along the Iron Goat Trail.
At the Scenic trailhead, a former Great Northern steel caboose is on display. Great Northern X294 was built by GN’s St. Cloud shops in October 1951. It later became Burlington Northern #11319 in December 1970 and was retired by 1990. It ended up being purchased by Henry Welzel and was stored on his property in Puyallup, Washington. It was acquired from his estate and on October 6, 2004, it was moved to Skykomish and was temporarily stored next to the Skykomish depot before being moved to its current location on August 28, 2006.
The Scenic trailhead was completed on October 7, 2006. A new crossover trail provides a direct connection between Scenic and Windy Point.
Continue to Milepost 1720…