Friday, January 2, 2015

My Layout in October 2005

I originally posted these pictures on my old website on December 2, 2005.

I bought my Canon PowerShot A520 digital camera on October 1, 2005, and I took these pictures of my HO-scale layout that day. These were the first pictures I took of my layout since 2002. I was still figuring out how the camera worked, so not all of the pictures are in focus, but I am including them all anyway.

The captions for these pictures were written as if my layout were a real railroad in Oregon called the Logan & San Miguel Railroad (or L&SM for short), and as if these pictures were historical photos posted on the company’s website. There were a couple of pictures I didn’t originally use, and I have written new captions for them. I have posted the pictures in the order I took them, whereas when I wrote the captions the pictures were in fictional chronological order.

003 My Layout on October 1, 2005

Spokane Portland & Seattle RS3 #67 in Logan Siding, being passed by Union Pacific PA1 #602 in 1965.

004 My Layout on October 1, 2005

This view is looking down the main road through San Miguel from near the depot.

005 My Layout on October 1, 2005

Union Pacific H10-44 #1303 working in Logan Yard in 1967.

006 My Layout on October 1, 2005

Union Pacific RS2 #1293 in the Logan engine terminal on another day in 1967, alongside GP9 #321.

008 My Layout on October 1, 2005

This view looks down Main Street in downtown Logan from near the Logan Depot. The Logan Yard and the Logan Grain Co-op Elevator are visible in the background.

009 My Layout on October 1, 2005

This view show passengers waiting at the ornate San Miguel depot.

026 My Layout on October 1, 2005

Logan's main business district includes the Equitable Trust Bank and Jessica's Salon.

027 My Layout on October 1, 2005

This farm is located near San Miguel between the North Portal of Tunnel #2 and the bridge over the San Miguel River.

029 My Layout on October 1, 2005

Here is a dock on the San Miguel River occupied by nude female sunbathers.

030 My Layout on October 1, 2005

Steam locomotives in the Logan roundhouse near the end of steam on the L&SM in 1967.

031 My Layout on October 1, 2005

This view shows workers on the loading dock of the Things, Inc. factory, a customer on the L&SM in Logan. Things, Inc. is a smaller industry, but it does have its own siding.

032 My Layout on October 1, 2005

The Hillside Lumber & Millwork Company in Logan doesn't have a siding of its own It receives shipments at the team track at the Logan depot.

033 My Layout on October 1, 2005

Logan Oil is a Shell Oil distributor located in North Logan. It is the only Logan & San Miguel customer with a siding in North Logan.

034 My Layout on October 1, 2005

The San Miguel Schoolhouse is located next to the main line, across from the San Miguel Depot. Children are at play in the yard behind the school.

035 My Layout on October 1, 2005

This aerial view shows the entire town of San Miguel, which is primarily a residential community. It was once a farming community, founded by Mexican farmers from California. While agriculture is still prominent in the area, San Miguel has largely become a suburb to Logan.

036 My Layout on October 1, 2005

Belknap is a site along the line between Logan and San Miguel where maintenance equipment and supplies are stored. Maintenance-of-way crews often work out of Belknap by speeder.

037 My Layout on October 1, 2005

Here is another view of the workers and section houses along the line at Belknap.

038 My Layout on October 1, 2005

The Logan Depot serves as the railroad's local base of operations. In addition to handling passengers, local freight agents also work in the depot, using the offices upstairs.

039 My Layout on October 1, 2005

The Logan Grain Co-Operative elevator was built in the 1960s and is now the L&SM's biggest customer in Logan during the harvest.

040 My Layout on October 1, 2005

The Robison Hardwood Furniture factory is the largest employer in Logan, other than the railroad that serves it. Woodchips from the factory are loaded into woodchip cars to be taken to Santiam where they will be turned into paper and the Santiam Paper mill.

041 My Layout on October 1, 2005

The diesel servicing facility in the Logan Yard. A two-stall enginehouse once stood on this spot, but was destroyed in a fire years earlier. Before the railroad rebuilt it, diesel locomotives began to dominate the railroad landscape, and a modern diesel fueling facility took the enginehouse's place.

042 My Layout on October 1, 2005

A pair of Union Pacific cabooses wait on the caboose track in the Logan Yard until they are needed.

043 My Layout on October 1, 2005

The main Logan Yard Tower is located at the opposite end of the yard from the engine terminal. A signal bridge governs the entrance to this end of the yard.

045 My Layout on October 1, 2005

The McGladrey Publishing Company in Logan, publisher of the East Lane County Herald, is another customer that doesn't have its own siding.

No comments:

Post a Comment