Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Southern Pacific SD40 #7340 by Kato

I never posted pictures of these commissioned models on my old website, but I am including them now for completion.

IMG_9463 Kato SD40 Southern Pacific #7340 Before
Southern Pacific SD40 #7340, Before

This HO-Scale Southern Pacific SD40, #7340, is a Kato model that I was commissioned to work on in November 2007. This model was originally painted for another railroad, and was repainted into Southern Pacific colors. I am not sure what the original road name was, but it was painted yellow with blue pilots, so it may have been Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. The model was missing a horn, and also needed a pilot plow added.

IMG_9464 Kato SD40 Southern Pacific #7340 Before
Southern Pacific SD40 #7340, Before

Though the hand-painted model wasn’t that bad, whoever had done it hadn’t done the inside edges of the cab windows, and had also missed the rear pilot. The fuel tank also needed to be painted gray. A lot of the gray paint had also flaked off of the handrails.

IMG_9472 Kato SD40 Southern Pacific #7340 After
Southern Pacific SD40 #7340, After

I added the horn and plow, and I touched up the gray paint, mainly just around the windows and on the handrails. I also painted the fuel tank gray.

IMG_9473 Kato SD40 Southern Pacific #7340 After
Southern Pacific SD40 #7340, After

I also had to paint the rear pilot, and touch up the gray on the radiator grilles and where the red paint overlapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment