The Chelatchie Prairie Railroad's steam locomotive is former Crossett Western Company #10, a 2-8-2T locomotive built by the American Locomotive Company, or Alco, in 1929.
This is a tank engine, meaning that it does not pull a tender behind it. Instead, it carries its fuel oil and water in large tanks mounted on top of the boiler and behind the cab.
This was an advantage for branch lines and logging railroads, as it significantly reduced the overall length of the locomotive and allowed it to more easily operate in reverse as there was no tender behind that would otherwise be pushed when operating in reverse.
|Builder||American Locomotive Company, Brooks Works|
|Tractive Effort||28,500 lbs.|
|Steam Pressure||190 psi|
|Cylinder Diameter||18 in.|
|Cylinder Stroke||24 in.|
|Driving Wheel Diameter||44 in.|
|Weight of Engine||168,000 lbs.|
|Weight on Drivers||120,500 lbs.|
|Working Weight||80 tons|
This was the last locomotive built at Alco's Brooks Works in Dunkirk, New York, and was the next to last piece of railroad equipment built there. (A 12' snow plow for the Southern Pacific would be the last piece of equipment.)
The locomotive was built for the Crossett Western Company for use at Wauna, Oregon. Crossett Western was bought out in 1941.
In 1943, the locomotive was sold to the Hammond Lumber Company for use at Samoa, California, becoming their #16.
In 1953, Hammond was bought out by Georgia-Pacific and in October 1956 the locomotive was used in Fortuna, California.
Harry Morgan of the Fortuna Kiwanis Club acquired the locomotive in 1964 and donated to the City of Fortuna who put it on display in a park in November, 1966.
In 1974 the locomotive was sold to Peter J. Riplinger of Shelton, Washington.
In 2002 the locomotive was leased to the Battle Ground, Yacolt & Chelatchie Prairie to be restored to operation in excursion service.
Restoration was completed in 2006 and the locomotive pulled its first excursion trains in December.
Continue to The Excursion Train…