Locomotive #187 is an NW5, one of only 13 built by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors. It was built in December 1946 as Great Northern #187.
It became Burlington Northern #987 after the 1970 merger. It was retired in April 1982 and was sold in July to Pacific Transportation Services as #1001. It was later sold to Pete Replinger.
It was purchased by Dick Samuels in the early 1990s for use on the Molalla Western, but was never put into service.
The original 1000-horsepower engine was replaced with an 800-horsepower one, giving the locomotive a single-stack exhaust instead of the original twin-stacks.
After the new engine was installed, the locomotive was never fully completed and placed in operation.
It spent most of its time stored along SW McBrod Avenue near the Milwaukie shops, but was moved to Golf Junction in Sellwood in late 2007.
This locomotive was heavily damaged by vandals in 2008. The internal damage made it no longer viable for the locomotive to be restored.
In 2013, the engine was removed for future installation in SW8 #801 and the locomotive was scrapped.
GN #187 in Spokane, WA in April 1970 (Fallen Flag Railroad Photos)
BN #987 in Seattle, WA in September 1972 (rrpicturearchives.net)
BN #987, New Westminster, BC, 1973 (Fallen Flag Railroad Photos)
Continue to East Portland Traction Company 80-Tonner #500…