Sunday, December 28, 2014

My Dad’s Layout in 1994

I never posted pictures of my dad’s layout on my old website, but I am including them now for completion.

01 Dad's Layout in July 1994
Photo by Cliff West

My dad’s layout was originally an HOn3 layout based on the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge in the Owens Valley of California. He eventually converted it to a standard gauge layout. He only had one small section with any scenery on it when he converted it from standard gauge to narrow gauge. This section of scenery is shown here in some pictures my dad took in 1994 (in July, I think) of his excursion train, nicknamed the “People Express.”

02 Dad's Layout in July 1994
Photo by Cliff West

The “People Express” cars are based on excursion cars converted from flat cars by the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge. In reality there were five cars, and all five had outhouses on them, although this was a mistake by the shop crew; only one car was supposed to have them.

03 Dad's Layout in July 1994
Photo by Cliff West

My dad built his standard-gauge train out of Athearn 40-foot flatcars. He only had one set of outhouses, so only one car has them. There are 130 figures on the three cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment