Sunday, December 28, 2014

My Layout in the Spring of 2001

I posted pictures of my layout on my old website beginning when I started it in November 2002. These were the first pictures of my layout that I posted on my website. I have rescanned them.

I took these pictures of my HO-scale layout when I was home from college during Spring Break of 2001, in either late February or early March. I hadn’t taken any pictures of the layout since 1999, and I wanted some good up-to-date pictures to show to the other members of my college model railroad club. I had made quite a bit of progress on the layout during my last year in high school and the summer before college. I also wanted to showcase my collection of equipment.

01 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is a picture of my Union Pacific passenger equipment in the yard. From the left are my Bachmann hi-rail bus, a Spectrum “Doodlebug” gas-electric motorcar, my GP7 with heavyweight passenger cars for local service, my Rivarossi FEF-4 4-8-4 #844 with my dad’s train of Athearn heavyweight Pullman cars, my Proto 2000 E8As with my train of 72-foot streamlined cars, and my Athearn PAs with my train of full-length streamlined cars (the full-length cars will not actually run on the layout). Also note the furniture factory and partially-built grain elevator in the background, and that the road has been painted and striped.

02 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is another view of my Union Pacific passenger equipment. The focus is better in this picture.

03 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is a picture of my steam locomotives. (Notice that I changed the vehicles on the road to be all from the 1940s and 1950s.) From the left are my Weyerhaeuser 0-6-0T by Model Die Casting, my Mantua 4-6-2, my Rivarossi FEF-3 #844 (also pictured with the passenger equipment), my Rivarossi 4-6-6-4 Challenger #3985, my Rivarossi 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, and my old A.H.M. 4-8-8-4 Big Boy (my dad had repainted the silver smokebox with a more prototypical graphite color.)

04 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is another picture of the steam locomotives lined up in the yard. For this picture, I lined them up to show the differences in length.

05 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is a picture of my Union Pacific diesel switchers. From the left are an EMD NW2 (Revell body on Athearn drive), a Baldwin DS-4-4-1000 (Athearn S12), a Fairbanks-Morse H10-44 (Walthers), a Baldwin AS-616 (Stewart Hobbies), and two Athearn SW7 Cow-Calf sets, one with “Road of the Streamliners/Serves All The West” slogans and one with “Dependable Transportation” slogans.

06 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is another view of the Union Pacific diesel switchers lined up in the yard.

07 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is a view of the engine terminal on my layout, packed with Union Pacific diesels. Starting on the left are Athearn GP7s, an Athearn GP35 and GP7, Spectrum GP30s, Proto 2000 GP20s, a Proto 2000 GP9 and Revell NW2, an Athearn SW7 Cow-Calf set, a Walthers H10-44, an Athearn S12 (as a DS-4-4-1000), a Stewart Hobbies AS-616, Train Miniature FAs and Athearn F7s.

08 GN trains passing

Here is a picture of some of my dad’s Great Northern locomotives on my layout. In the background are a set of Athearn F7s approaching a waiting set of Walthers FAs in the siding in the foreground.

09 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is another picture featuring some of my dad’s Great Northern locomotives. A pair of his Athearn GP9s are waiting in the siding while my Proto 2000 Union Pacific GP20s pass on the main line.

10 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is my Mantua 4-6-2 pulling into the Logan depot with a local passenger train. The water tower and the grass in this area were a recent development.

11 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is a view of the town of San Miguel. The school playground and the scenery at the farm in the background were recent additions.

12 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is an overhead view of the Logan engine terminal with a mix of my Union Pacific and my dad’s Great Northern motive power. All of the scenery in this area was fairly new.

13 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is a view of the other end of the town of Logan, with the finished road and grass in the empty spaces.

14 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is a closer look at the new Robison Hardwood Furniture factory, named after my high school shop teacher. (I also put a Robison Hardwood Furniture factory on the Longview, Kelso & Rainier Model Railroad Club’s layout.) I built the large flat out of Design Preservation Models modular wall sections and added Walthers dust collectors.

15 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is a closer look at the McGladrey Publishing Company building, named after my high school English teacher.

16 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here is a look at the building at this end of the town. Many of the stores are named after friends from school.

17 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here are a group of Athearn F7s in various paint schemes gathered around my turntable. From the left are Burlington Northern, Great Northern, Union Pacific, Southern Pacific “Black Widow,” Southern Pacific Red & Gray, Amtrak, and Chicago & North Western. All but the Union Pacific units belonged to my dad. He custom-painted the Burlington Northern, Great Northern and Southern Pacific “Black Widow” units.

18 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here are a group of Athearn SW7s in various paint schemes gathered around my engine terminal. They include Pacific Fruit Express, Chicago & North Western, Montana Rail Link, Southern, Great Northern, Cimarron Valley (freelanced), Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, Southern Pacific “Tiger Stripe,” Mountain Pine Lumber (freelanced), and Southern Pacific Red & Gray. All but the Union Pacific units belonged to my dad. He custom-painted all but the Southern, Burlington Northern, Union Pacific, and Southern Pacific Red & Gray units.

19 My Layout in Spring 2001

Here are a group of EMD GP-series units in various paint schemes gathered around my engine terminal. Starting on the left are Burlington Northern GP50s (by Athearn), Seaboard System GP40-2s (by Athearn), Southern Pacific GP38-2s (by Athearn), Montana Rail Link GP35s (by Athearn), Union Pacific GP30s (by Spectrum), Union Pacific GP20s (By Proto 2000), a Seaboard System GP18 (by Bachmann), a Union Pacific GP9 (by Proto 2000), a Southern Pacific GP7 (Athearn GP9, really a GP7), EMD Demonstrator GP60s (by Athearn), and Chicago & North Western GP15-1s (by Walthers Trainline). All except the Union Pacific units belonged to my dad. He custom-painted the Southern Pacific GP7, the Seaboard System GP18, and the Montana Rail Link GP35s.

20 Dad's Layout in Spring 2001

This last picture was actually taken on my dad’s layout, but I took it at the same time as the others. It shows his Bachmann GS-4 4-8-4 #4449 passing his A.H.M. 4-8-8-2 Cab-Forward #4294.

No comments:

Post a Comment