Sunday, December 28, 2014

My Layout in the Fall of 2002

I posted pictures of my layout on my old website beginning when I started it in November 2002. I never posted these pictures on my old website, but am including them now for completion.

In late 2002, my parents were going to have some work done on their house that would require part of my layout to be temporarily moved. Before I went back to college that fall, I removed all the vehicles and loose details from the layout so nothing would be lost. All of my locomotives were also packed up, though I don’t remember if I did that or if my dad did. In any case, after I left, my dad’s Southern Pacific red & gray fleet invaded my layout. These are some pictures that he took before the layout was partially dismantled.

79405262 My Layout in Fall 2002
Photo by Cliff West

Here is my engine terminal filled with Southern Pacific red & gray diesels. There are no vehicles at all in the town. The freight cars in the yard could be moved to the part of the layout that didn’t have to be moved when the work was done.

79405363 My Layout in Fall 2002
Photo by Cliff West

Here is another view of the engine terminal. Note the paneling behind the furniture factory. This was an old doorway used for unloading firewood into the basement when the house was heated with wood; my layout is in the former wood bin area. This doorway would be filled in with concrete, with a row of glass blocks at the top for light. In order to do this work, this part of my layout would have to be removed.

79405476 My Layout in Fall 2002
Photo by Cliff West

Here is a Baldwin S-12 on my turntable. This is also a nice view of the walkways on the turntable bridge.

79405584 My Layout in Fall 2002
Photo by Cliff West

Here is a view of the engine terminal from the other direction. This picture shows the inside of the roundhouse, although the details inside the roundhouse were not glued down and had already been removed.

79405787 My Layout in Fall 2002
Photo by Cliff West

Here is a picture of another Baldwin S-12. Both of the S-12s are Athearn models with Southern Pacific details added.

No comments:

Post a Comment